Trochoidal milling is an efficient way to cut a slot other than using the standard slot milling method. In trochoidal milling, an end mill is used to machine the slot width using a circular movement. This is called the trochoid method. It's an efficient way to produce slots using high-speed machining methods.
Why Use Trochoidal Milling?
- This method enables you to machine a slot width that is larger than the cutting diameter of the tool. In typical slot milling, you are limited to make a slot only as wide as the slot milling cutter.
- Using an end mill in the trochoid method makes it efficient, and convenient, to machine several slot widths using the same tool diameter.
- Higher feeds and cutting speeds can be achieved when you use a small radial depth of cut.
- End mills with close pitch can be used, which enables higher feeds and speeds than allowed with typical slotting mills.
- Trochoidal milling often is a faster way to mill slots compared to typical slot milling.
WIDIA End Mills for Trochoidal Milling
Our complete line of VariMill end mills are ideal for trochoidal milling, from fine finishing to roughing in multiple materials.
- VariMill I end mills - high metal removal rates. Fewer passes due to 1xD slotting capability on most materials
- VariMill II end mills - excellent for high-performance, chatter-free machining. 1xD slotting in titanium and stainless steels with 5 unequally spaced flutes. Rough and finish with one tool.
- VariMill II ER (eccentric relief) end mills - ideal for machining slots in titanium, and performance life approximately 40% longer than standard end mills
- VariMill II Long end mills - 4xD length of cut, unequal flute spacing, for finishing and semi-finishing applications.
VariMill End Mills for Trochoidal Milling